Making 2017 the Best Year Yet!!!!!!!
Setting new goals is like a fresh new start at life! As living products of goal setting, we cannot emphasize how important these 5 steps are in realizing the life of your dreams. But I’m sure you’d be as surprised as I was to learn that the average amount of attempts one makes towards their goals is less than one….why?!
The fear of disappointment, self-doubt, and other negativities are the culprit. If you have a dream but thought you’re not good enough or you don’t deserve it, or you don’t know where to start, this is for you! We want to share how these 5 steps of goal-setting have allowed us to achieve our deepest desires.
1. Set Your Goals
There’s a difference when you physically write your clearly defined goals down rather than keep it locked up in your mind. This is where everything begins.
We have a library of journals of goal-setting and dream building from our past. One particular journal entry is when I, Mark, made the decision to leave the Navy. It was 2001 at a next level training in Virginia. I wrote:
Decide TODAY to go full-time in network marketing. Make a decision to leave the military.
The very next day, I, went to the Commander to set things in motion to leave the Navy. It was a huge decision, but I pursued my goal that I had written out.
It’s important to WRITE out your goals and use the SMART method. SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-based.
- Make it Specific! To help you be specific with your goals, answer the questions of: who, what, when, where, which, and why. These answers are going to help you formulate the steps you need to achieve in your SMART plan to reach your goals. Ask specific questions, such as: “What is it that I want to accomplish?” “Who is involved?” “Why am I setting this goal for myself?” and “Are there any other requirements or restraints that are going to keep me from reaching my goal?”
- Make it Measurable! Set a timeline for your goal of when you want it to be accomplished, and certain mid-goal criteria to prevent you from falling behind on your goal. Having a daily reminder to help you stay on track is a good way to measure the progress of your goal. You can keep your reminder in a journal, on a whiteboard, or by using your smart phone to track your SMART goal’s development.
- Make it Attainable! To gauge if your goal is attainable in the preset, ask yourself questions such as: “Can I take on the commitments to reach this goal?” “Am I willing to tweak certain areas of my life to achieve the goal?” and “Is there a more achievable goal that I would rather work towards?”
- Make it Relevant! Make your goal relevant to the reality that you wish to currently achieve in your life. And it should be realistic. If you are not a swimmer and you hate water, then your goal should not be to: “Swim 500 meters in the next two weeks.” Set a goal that you have an actual chance of achieving.
- Make a Time Element! To help give your SMART action plan goal a time frame and schedule, you can ask yourself these questions: “What can I do right now to help me reach my goal?” “Where should I be with my goal in 3 weeks?” “What are some things I can do next month to help me reach my goal?”
It’s typical that people vaguely profess their goals:
“I want to be debt-free.”
“I want to lose weight.”
There is a critical factor many people miss: a specific time element to hold yourself accountable to craft the whole plan.
Be specific with what you want & give yourself a definitive time frame.
“I will be debt-free by December 30, 2016.”
“I will lose 25 pounds by December 30, 2016.”
2. CREATE a Solid Plan
Work is required for success. If your goal is a worthy goal, the hard work is worth it. To know how to get to the goal though, you need to plan the journey.
Years ago we wanted to buy property in the Turks and Caicos Islands. If you knew us and our financial situation, you would’ve laughed at us! We needed to pay a specific amount in 12 months to be considered for a lot in a special development. The amount was overwhelming, but we worked it backwards to figure out exactly what we needed each month to make that happen. We tracked our progress meticulously; the target amount and the work required each day.
The big goal seemed impossible but with this plan we had laid out, it became something doable and ultimately led us to hitting the goal.
3. DESIGN YOUR Dream Board & VisualizE Your Dream
The first time we were instructed to create dream boards, we were quite shocked. We were asked to have poster board, glue, and scissors and we thought it was some pretty lame advice. We were adults that needed money, not a kindergarten project! But because our mentors were adamant about the idea, we decided to give in.
Being the #1 Income Earner’s of Nerium, people ask if we still use dream boards. Every year we create a new one that reflects our new goals. We always keep them in front of our desks as a constant reminder & a focal point while we work. There is incredible power in seeing your greatest dreams and desires as you work diligently every day. It serves as a great reminder as to why you do what you do.
4. SAY YOUR Daily Affirmations
You can program your mind to think in a way that attracts success. Positive in, positive out and that’s where the affirmations help. Affirmations are simple: you create who you want to become, and write it in presence tense as if you already are that person. It’s tricking your mind into thinking that you’ve already got what you desire. Here are some of mine:
“I make miracles in my life.”
“I deserve the best.”
“I make a difference.”
Write yours on index cards and have them on your phone. Next step? VERBALLY say them aloud. We learned this method from Napoleon Hill’s book, “Think and Grow Rich”. According to Hill, affirmations keep you connected to your goal and keep you focused. Daily repetition make affirmations your go-to power statements to get you going when you encounter any negativity.
5. Get a Good Workout Partner
We all have days that we want to snuggle back into bed and not do one constructive thing. If no one knows about your goals then you are free to hide under the covers, unbothered. But that would be the worst thing you could ever do to your future self!
A workout partner is someone who keeps you accountable, gives you a nudge when you want to slack and one of your biggest supporters. Here are some attributes you want to consider when selecting the best partner:
– Someone you can trust.
– Somebody who can be honest with you (let you know when you’re doing good or need a reality check).
– Someone with a similar sized goal as yours.
Now the how-to is easy. First explain your goals and how you tend to get derailed. Once you’re on the same page, you just need a call each week to check in. Always be honest and real!
We believe you deserve Epic Freedom! Epic Freedom is experiencing the utmost in freedom in all areas of your life! In order to obtain Epic Freedom you must take these steps seriously and act now! Don’t wait to create your dream board or find a workout partner. We challenge you to do it now! We wish you a blessed 2017. There’s no better time than NOW for you to start the life of your dreams!